You Are Reading

0

Tournament Report: Fishy Fish Dragon Local Stories (Dragunity deck)

Eternal13 Thursday, January 10, 2013 , ,
So, yeah.  Tournament report.  I'm also going to include stuff about my day that was sort of interesting leading up to the local event.  Sometimes, that's just fun to do, and it makes it less autonomous than "yeah, I won this match."  So here goes.

  I woke up at about 8 a.m. today.  Mainly because I have class.  I have to borrow my parents car to get to said classes so I walk up to the store to get it.  In one of my classes, Political Theory, a girl didn't know that B.C.E. was a thing. Which, I honestly can't believe.  Made me feel like there was no hope for 'Merica.  Anyway, I was just chillen, getting real tired after these classes. The title of this report is because we had a big discussion in my International Relations class about globalization and invasive fish species, it was really fishy.

I get a text from my friend (Jake) for a ride to locals.  I thought about whether I wanted to drive myself or not.  Mainly because I all ready ate that day, they generally get lunch, and whatever.  So I get ride at about 3:00 p.m. ish and off to locals I go.

We stopped by a chicken place for food.  I couldn't decide which desserts I wanted.  My choice was between Apple Pie and Peacan Pie.  I thought about getting one or the other.  Apple or Pecan, these choices can shape destinies.  I decided to double down on the Pecan Pie's, getting two, since they remind me of my Grandmother and the found memories of homemade Pecan pie (specifically on my Birthday).

Y U so hard to find?
I decided I'd run Dragunity this week.  The deck is basically the most fun deck in my opinion, like everytime I make a play with it, it just makes me smile.  I know that's not the best reason to run a deck, but Dragunity has done well this format.  Not just in terms of me running it, but other players have done well with it at a couple of regionals apparently.  I had felt like the format sped up and Mermails were too much for the deck to deal with, but I changed my mind after I learned how to play against and hopefully beat them.  I spent a good 30 minutes looking for a Dragunity Arma Mysteltainn before the tournament since I needed a 3rd to make the deck more consistent.  No luck.

Something you should know about my locals.  We get about 40 people a week, which is a pretty good size, that doesn't even include the 12-15 people who set up front to free duel.  Also, the other thing.  I don't win that often, in fact I don't even place, but I do well in the tournament.  Generally, the whole thing is 4 rounds of swiss (it's all ways 4 rounds, no matter how many people...it's a shame really).  I usually go 3-1, and often times I lose to one of my friends in the early rounds.  Two weeks ago it was Jake, last week I didn't play either of them and walked away with 2nd place prize in 4th place (there was a split for 1st, three people got $45, I got $25).  What happens when I lose to my friends?  Well since it's generally early in the tournament, I end up getting 9th.

In fact, to be honest, I've probably gotten 9th place more than any other place.  It's really frustrating in a way, and I joked about it before the tournament.  Telling Jake I knew exactly what would happen, I'd end up going 3-1, probably losing to either him or Anthony, and get 9th.

So yeah.  Anyway, we played a couple of games, and I was feeling fairly confident after that.  Just in time for round 1 to begin.

Round 1: Dragunity vs. Agents
 
The guy I was playing was someone I met in my freshmen year of college.  At the time, I didn't know him too well, he was dating one of my friends and I only knew of him through her.  Anyway, he's a pretty cool guy and one of the people that I'm glad I got to know better because of this game.

Game 1: I can't remember too well what happened this game.  We both had slow starts.  He got to his cards first making a Zenmaines and Gachi Gachi Gantetsu early on.  My best play was using Dragunity Legionnaire bringing Phalanx back and making a Catastor.  This lasted for two turns, long enough to kill his materials, since I had some back row support but I didn't have much else to capitalize on the power of Catastor.  Sadly, this wasn't good enough.  He dropped BLS:EOTB and Hyperion to punch my face in.  It wasn't enough for game, and I had a really awkward hand that had possibilities but those weren't good enough.  I topdecked Dragunity Dux and attempted to make a play into Scrap Dragon.  The Phalanx summon was met with a Maxx C.  I felt like my best option was to let him draw his cards, since his field would surely kill me next turn.  I go for Scrap Dragon only for it to be met with an Effect Veiler for game.

Shoot to thrill
Game 2: I sided and drew. I went first setting a Phalanx and a Compulsory Evacuation Device  Opening with a Maxx C in hand.  He summons Venus and activates, I chain Maxx C.  He goes through making Gachi Gachi Gantetsu.  I felt like this was a mistake for him, since it netted me a plus 2 off of Maxx C.  He sets 1 card, and ends.  I bounce Gachi back to his extra deck on his end phase.  My turn and I draw. After the Maxx C I have everything needed to OTK.  I blow up his backrow with a Mystical Space Typhoon.  I combo off, attacking with a fully-charged Trident Dragion and a Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon for game.

Game 3:  I opened great this game.  The details are blurry to me, but essentially, he opened poorly.  The game ended really early after I swung in with a fully charged Trident Dragion and a Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, that wasn't damage on board, but I then made Gustav Maxx and killed him with it.

Round 2: Dragunity Vs. Wind-ups (Anthony)

Anthony is one of the people I grew up playing the game with. He and my other friends who play this game are all older by a few years (3-4). He's all ways been better than me, he's also had the most success out of us when the game was still in it's UDE days. I figured this match would be fairly difficult.

Game 1:  I opened with a Dragon's Ravine.  I tried to make plays but was met with either Veiler or Fiendish Chain.  I couldn't do much else.  I got slaughtered with the powerful Wind-up plays were all familiar with, basically devastated by Shock Master.

This card is legit better than my whole deck
Game 2: I had a lot of options this game.  I played Maxx C when he tried to combo me, netting me just the card I needed to replace it.  This was fortunately all I needed since Anthony opened with a backrow-light hand.  Stardust Dragon nets me the win this game, backed by Solemn Warning and a few other cards.

Game 3: This game was long.  I was waiting on Dragon's Ravine, Anthony was waiting on some Wind-up power plays.  Basically, it would come down to who had their cards first.  We traded blows a couple of times and lifepoints fell below the 3000 range.  The game was counting down to the finale.  We were both still waiting on the cards we needed.  I had a small board at this point, and the same with Anthony.  His turn he finally gets what he was waiting for.  Dropping double Wind-up Factory, I almost pooped a little.  He combos off, what little spell and traps I had couldn't do much.  I stare down a huge field of 3-4 Xyz monsters.  One of those were Shock Master calling monster effects.  I couldn't do anything after that.  I signed the match slip.

Round 3: Dragunity vs. Gem Knights

This was a new guy to our locals.  He seemed like a nice guy albeit a little inexperienced.

Games 1 & 2:  I can't remember these games too much.  All I know is that I OTKd hard and fast both games.  Trident Dragion was putting in work tonight.


Round 4: Dragunity vs. Macro Dino Rabbit

This kid used to come to our locals.  Now he was a lot older and has grown up.  He was just getting back into the game.

Game 1: Again, I can't remember too much.  I knew if he drew Macro it was all over for me if I couldn't draw an MST.  I had numerous back-row to stop his plays.  Life points stayed around 8K.  After sitting for long enough, I exhausted the resources on his field.  Estimating that he wasn't maining Veiler due to maining Macro, I went for the OTK.  I killed him with Trident Dragion.

Big Boss.
Game 2: He opened with four backrow.  My turn he activated Macro.  At this point, my out was MST.  He didn't have any plays (no idea what he was drawing) for a few turns, and I was using some of my cards to attempt to bait out some of his massive backrow.  Every turn I made a small dent but he kept setting more.  I draw MST finally, at this point I was keeping enough cards in my hand to OTK.  I MST his Macro.  He activates another Macro and I Solemn Warning and he chains Solemn Judgment.  I last a few more turns before he draws Rabbit.

Game 3:  I knew that I was playing first.  If I wanted to win, it meant investing most of my resources on my first turn, since my hands plays wouldn't be live if they sit under Macro.  I make Stardust using most of cards.  My first turn ends with Stardust, Ravine, and a set Solemn.  He goes first and summons Rabbit, forcing my Solemn.  After that, he was incredibly frustrated.  A couple of turns pass, with his most noticeable play being a Tour Guide into Acid Golem to kill my Stardust.  He doesn't set anything.  After a few turns of sitting on Stardust, I now had more resources. I draw, play Dark Hole, and quickly make Trident Dragion for game.

Afterwards...

He was pretty upset after the match.  I don't think Dino Rabbit has been going well for him.

Seemingly...the most hard to find.
There was about twenty minutes left on the clock.  Table 1 consisted of the Mermail Mirror, my friend Jake was playing at table 2.  There would be two 1st place winners tonight.  Jake, playing Wind-ups, finished his match, and he won, meaning he would be one of the undefeated.

I walked around for a bit trying to pick up trades.  I really wanted Madolches to play non-serious games with, and to use it at the Sneak Preview in a couple of weeks.  One of the people there had 3 Magileine, earlier I had traded for one from someone else, I bought two of them from him for $8 each, which was pretty cheap considering my other options.  I was able to pick up two of the Madolche Xyz also, best thing is, they are both ultimates.  I was able to get the final Mysteltainn that I needed, which was the last thing I actually needed to complete the deck the way I want to run it.

Finally, the prizing was announced.  The store-worker called out the credit distribution, I did not make the top 8 cut for credit, despite my 3-1 record.  Meaning only one thing.  Jake, laughing, asks "wait, wait, who was 9th place?"  and my name was called out.  I get a congratulatory pat on the back, with Jake saying "good job, you called it."

FML.

~Et3rnal13


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 E.P.B. 1337 D0j0