You Are Reading

1

Interesting Exceeds: that I can see being used

Eternal13 Wednesday, March 16, 2011 ,
This is just a list of the cards that I think are so far the interesting monsters in the Exceed mechanic. These are followed by short explanations, any translations are borrowed from Shriek.

Underwater Warship Aero Shark
Water/ Fish - Exceeds/ Rank 3/ 1900/ 1000
2x Level 3 Monsters
Once per turn, you can activate this effect by removing 1 of this card's Exceeds Material Monster. Inflict 100 Damage to your opponent's Life Points for each of your removed from play monsters


A card like this isn't very good in terms of actually being good. What I mean by that is that this monster will require a very specific deck to work in, but in all honesty I can see this card having an OTK or some interesting combos down the line. So what ends up happening is the Substitoad phenomenom. I doubt it will happen with this card, since the burn is so small, but you never know.

I would say that I'm less interesting in this one.

Spring Armor Mainspring Meister
Earth/Machine - Exceeds/Rank 4/1900/1500
2x Level 4 Monster
This card gains 300 DEF for each of its Exceeds Material Monster. Once per turn, you can remove 1 of this card's Exceeds Material Monster to select 1 face-up monster on the field. The selected monster is changed to face-down Defense Position. During this turn's End Phase, the selected monster is changed to face-up Attack Position.


Probably my most favorite card that has been revealed so far. The card itself reminds me a lot of Archanite Magician. The card just does a lot of nice things, and in my opinion will find it's home competively in Gravekeepers. Re-using Gravekeeper Spy is just a really strong play, and let's the deck make bigger set-ups and stronger power plays.

The only problem that this card has is in order to be of use, you'll have to overextend your field making it's uses limited, but it's a card thats perfect for decks like GK who have extra deck space.

Protector of the Founders, Tyrus
LIGHT/Angel - Exceeds/Rank 5/2600/1700
2x Level 5 Monster
The following effect is not applied, if this card is without Exceeds Material Monster. This card is not destroyed by card effects. At the end of the Battle Phase this card battled, select 1 card your opponent controls and destroy it. During your End Phase, remove 1 of this card's Exceeds Material Monster.


This is the first Exceed monster revealed that has a Rank above 4. Personally it's hard for me to say if this card is worth it or not. It is an incredibly strong card to be honest, and for the two turns that it will dominate the field, but after that its just kind of a big body and in this game, big bodies don't necessarily last long.

What ends up happening, the card maybe sticks around for 2 turns, kills two of your opponents cards, and then becomes a stick. The problem is the difficult Rank. If this was Rank 4 I could see it becoming the poster child for the mechanic, but sadly it does not.

Vairon Disigma
LIGHT/Angel - Exceed - Effekt/Rank 4/2500/2100
3x Level 4 Monster
Once per turn, you can remove 1 of this card's Exceeds Material Monster to select 1 face-up Attack Position Effect Monster your opponen controls, and equip it to this card treated as an Equip Card. If this card battles with a monster with the same Attribute as a monster card equipped by this effect, skip Damage Calculation and destroy that monster immediately.


Much like the last monster, we look at this as the other direction for the mechanic where it uses more materials than just 2 monsters. The monster is a nice size and a beat-em-up style relinquished. The monster is interesting, and has a good ability, but again, I just can't see it as being strong enough for what it requires.

Still it is one of the stronger Exceeds so it is worth mentioning.

These are most of the Exceeds that I think are worth mentioning. Konami seems to be holding back and testing the waters with the new mechanic this time. All I can say, is that if this keeps up I could see Exceeds ending up more like fusion monsters than anything. Thats not to say fusion is dead, but it is to say that it is a more specialized mechanic than what synchro is. With the way Konami is pushing the mechanic, I'm unsure on whether that is a good thing or not.

1 comments:

bgguy123 said...

In response to your thoughts about the Tyrus, i'm actually thinking about building a deck around it. The decks strategy is speeding up the time it might take to get the overlay material for his summon. But thanks to reading your comment you did give me a few more ideas on it, so thanks.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2010 E.P.B. 1337 D0j0