That, and the quality could be better, at least in terms of adding things that make videos interesting. So, making it look more professional. I'm not planning on doing just youtube videos, I still want my blog to be the primary thing. I just need to put more effort to make the videos appealing, things like scripting out what I want to talk about will also help, as now that I look at it, that Evol video was really bad for that reason. It was low production, unscripted, talking into a camera and me coming across as an idiot.
I also want to start a podcast with some of my friends. It all depends on if they are down to do it. Would be nice.
Coming out of the Yugi-closet
![]() |
| Probably the only card most people know. |
A big reason why this happens is because of how the show is presented. The yu-gi-oh series is a pretty over-the-top toyetic anime about people saving the world with card games. This is combined with the dubbed version being targeted, even more so, to little kids. This makes it difficult for people to admit that they play the game out of fear that their friends won't understand and that they will be labeled a social outcast.
I think the other thing is being worried that they fit into the stereotype. We all know them. Yu-gi-oh players are fat, smelly, pedophiles, mentally challenged, etc. We even have people who play the game throw these around to other people, saying things like "that guy has no life, he smelled really bad" or "the guy I played was really overweight, he had literally no life". There are people like that in almost any hobby, there are also even people who fit those stereotypes, but why throw it around? A lot of the people who play this game that I've met are generally normal people. Everyday guys, who really shouldn't be worried about anything like that.
Even myself, up to a few months ago, had a fear of being judged because of how people would view my hobbies. I realized that this was ridiculous fear, and I've just started mentioning stuff about the game on my Facebook account.
The problems with being afraid are kind of silly. For starters, if people are really you're friends, why should they give a flying flip about what you do in your spare time?
![]() |
| The other thing people remember. |
The worst thing about not being open about yourself is that it makes life harder than it all ready is. I repeat, you are making life even more difficult, because you're worried that people don't like one of the things you do in your spare time.
I don't have any psychology background, but it really seems like in life, if you are hiding something, people will realize this, either subconsciously or just because you avoid some questions that they have. I think more people will notice you acting strangely to certain topics about your life, than they would if you just actually said what you were doing. Being secretive really pushes people away, and it comes across as if you're an insincere person. It's also harder when you're gaming friends don't care what people think and want to playtest somewhere like a coffee shop or some other public place. I know I've missed out on some fun times.
There should especially be no fear if you are in college. Once you're in college, literally no one cares.
Personally...
My biggest reason why I've been more open about yu-gi-oh is because of what I want to do for the game. I would like to start doing more multi-media projects in this game, especially since my major is partly based in the media. It's part of the reason I write this blog, I really enjoy it, I like seeing that people read (or at least view) what I have to say about this game. It's addicting, and I want to do more. It's also why I'm trying to do at least one video and podcast a month. Let's face it, I do this for fun.
Part of the big reason being closed off about this topic is bad is because places like Facebook and Twitter are the places you are going to get the most connectivity. For example, to comment on TCGplayer articles, you need to be connected to Facebook, usually. In order to participate fully with ARG, you need to be able to comment on Facebook. In order to have access to rulings discussions, Facebook. These are a ton of resources you miss out on if you try to compartmentalize your life by trying to separate yu-gi-oh and...well, the rest of life. It just doesn't work at the end of the day, and you spend time trying to cover up something that is irrelevant in the first place.
Finally...
![]() |
| If you don't remember this than you weren't a 90s yu-gi-oh player. |
Anyway, I think getting ragged on for the game is a high school thing any way.
End
That's about it. Not really a heavy topic, and it's pretty opinionated. Take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
~E.P.B.



0 comments:
Post a Comment